Thursday, August 2, 2012

::What's For Breakfast?:: 'Sausage' Gravy Recipe

Tuesday was a not so good day for me. And when I don't have any wine handy, I resort to comfort food. Don't judge.
Everyone needs a good ole sulk fest.
Can I get an amen?
I went to the frig and after what seemed like 5 minutes of staring into it, I decided I would eat some biscuits.
But what the heck are biscuits without gravy?
Not my kind of comfort food, that's what it is.
So I whipped up some gravy and it was simply marvelous.
So great that Jaxsen wanted it for breakfast.




What you need

6-12 biscuits
3-6 Tbs of flour
2 cups of your preferred milk (I suggest soy milk. Don't use Almond Milk)
2 Tbs of Earth Balance butter 
Salt and pepper to taste 
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
1/4 cup of vegan 'meat' crumbles (I used Smart Ground by Lightlife) or sausage
1 teaspoon of oil

First, bake your biscuits according to the instructions on the package. 
Then combine the butter and soy milk and cook over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the flour. If you like your gravy watery, only add 3 tablespoons. If you like it thicker, add up to 3 more tablespoons. Only add one tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. 
Now, add your seasonings. Stir frequently and let it cook for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the oil in the skillet and add your 'meat' crumbles. Cook for 5 minutes. Once the 'meat' crumbles are done, combine them with the gravy and stir.
Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
Your biscuits should be ready by now. Butter the tops of the biscuits and then top the biscuits with your yummy gravy.

 Enjoy!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment